Fine jewelry is designed and crafted to last generations with proper jecare. A standard rule is to see your jeweler at least twice a year to have your jewelry professionally checked, cleaned, and steamed. However, it is ideal to visit your jeweler every 3 months to stay ahead of expensive repairs. A jeweler will look for loose or broken prongs, worn mountings, loose or missing stones, and observe general wear and tear.
Jewelry Care Hacks: 2 Top Tips Every Jewelry Lover Needs to Know About
#1 Jewelry Cleaning
Here are some basic guidelines for care, and cleaning at home:
- Store your jewelry in a clean, dry environment.
- Keep your jewelry in a fabric-lined jewelry case, or in a box with compartments and dividers. However, if you prefer to use ordinary boxes wrap each piece individually in soft tissue paper.
- Don’t jumble your jewelry in a drawer or jewelry case. Pieces can scratch and rub against each other. This causes chains to get knotted and stones to become loose.
- Invest in a machine called an ultrasonic cleaner. They are available in many different models and prices. Your local jeweler can recommend an appropriate model based on your needs.
In the summer months, jewelry requires some extra care:
- No chlorine or salt water! Definitely remove all jewelry before going into a hot tub, swimming pool, or salt water. Chlorine and salt water can damage and discolor metals (silver, gold, and platinum). It will also erode the finish of gemstones.
- Don’t wear jewelry when applying sunscreen, and lotions. These products dull the appearance of your piece by leaving a film behind.
- Wipe jewelry after wearing, and before storing. You can use a clean, soft, slightly damp cloth to wipe jewelry to remove any summer lotions.
#2 Insure Your Jewelry
It is devastating to lose a piece of jewelry that holds memories, or special meaning. Always care for your fine jewelry by getting it insured. Appraisals can be done here at Josephs Jewelry, and we can assist you in getting your piece insured.
Here at Josephs Jewelry, we can help you keep your piece in tip top shape! We will inspect, clean, repair, and appraise your lovely pieces anytime. Come in today and let us help you preserve your precious jewelry, or restore it when you are ready to pass it on to a loved one.
At Joseph’s Jewelry, we carry numerous elegant jewelry pieces catering to every budget, and desired style. We are here to help residents in Stuart, Palm City, Hobe Sound, Jensen Beach, Jupiter and Port St. Lucie to find your perfect jewelry piece, complete a jewelry set, or make a custom jewelry design as unique as you are! We will also repair and restore your jewelry pieces and watches whether or not they were purchased through us. Come in anytime to check out our unique diamond rings, pendants, bracelets, earrings, and Citizen Eco Drive watches in stock for a celebration, last-minute gift, or spontaneous surprise.